Buildings insurance

You’re the king (or queen) of your castle so make sure it’s covered

In a nutshell

Look, we know how valuable your castle is to you. So, if it's part of your property, we'll insure it… From geysers to gate motors to garages, from boreholes to tennis courts, from permanent structures to palisade fencing, from pools to patios, from pumps to pipes... And all the other physical things that could cost you a king's ransom to repair or replace.

We offer comprehensive building insurance, competitive premiums and royal service… All under 1 roof!

With King Price buildings insurance, you're covered against insured perils to the physical structures on your property, such as your home and its outbuildings. We cover loss of, or damage to, your buildings, geysers and water pipes. We also cover accidental damage to fixed glass and sanitary ware, as well as water, gas, electricity and phone connections. And, if you need to call the fire brigade, we even cover that too!

Please note: The king doesn't cover dams and dam walls, loose gravel paths and coverings, and pool cleaning equipment. Also, if you have a thatch roof, thatch lapa or thatch anything, please tell us, okay? We'll cover it but only if we know about it!

Insure your buildings for what they're worth

A building's insured value, also known as the replacement value, should cover what it'll cost, at the time of the claim, to repair or rebuild your property from the foundations up. This amount should include the big things, like your boundary walls, solar panels and swimming pool. It should also include all the small things, like taps and tiles. The insured value should include the things you probably aren't thinking about right now, but which you'll need to pay in a worst case scenario… Like demolition charges and waste removal, the cost of making the site safe, and the professional and municipal fees that are part of the building process.

It's better to over-insure than under-insure

We pay buildings insurance claims by subtracting your excess and any dual or under-insurance from your insured value. So, your replacement value should be realistic. If in doubt, over-insure, or call in a pro for a proper valuation… Because, if you're under-insured, we'll only pay a pro-rata amount. And we don't want that to happen!

Frequently asked questions about buildings insurance

  • Your home
  • Outbuildings
  • Driveways
  • Walls
  • Garages
  • Fences
  • Patios
  • Swimming pools
  • Boreholes
  • Swimming pool and spa pumps
  • Gate motors
  • Tennis courts
  • Underground pipes and cables

Swimming pools are covered by homeowners' insurance, which we at King Price call buildings insurance. The reason some people get confused is that swimming pools and swimming pool pumps are covered, but pool cleaning equipment isn't covered by buildings insurance.

Carpets are covered by buildings insurance from King Price if they're fitted to the floor. In this case, they count as part of the immovable structures, fixtures, fittings and improvements that make up your home. Loose carpets and rugs should be covered under a home contents policy and not buildings insurance.

If by home insurance you mean buildings insurance, then yes, it's compulsory if you have a home loan through a bank. It's probably a good idea to get cover anyway, because the costs can be ceiling high and difficult to pay out of your own pocket if the worst happens.

How much you'll pay to insure your home is tricky to say without knowing the value of your property, and a few other details. This info goes into calculating your premium. The easiest way to find out how much you'll pay is to get a quote from the king by clicking here.

Homeowners building insurance, which we in the kingdom just call buildings insurance, covers the built structure of your home and its permanent fixtures and fittings against things like accidents, and damage that's caused by fire, theft and even natural disasters... Like storms.